10 Rules for Flawless Wedding Day Makeup
With Laura Mercier
1. Get your skin “wedding day” ready. Go for a facial or to a dermatologist at least six months before the big day to get yourself on a proper skincare routine. This time allows for any reaction and/or corrections, if needed. Do not use products your skin is not familiar with right before your wedding – you don’t want there to be a bad reaction.
2. Remember makeup is an accessory to your wedding gown. Just like the jewelry you pick, your makeup should complement your dress.
3. If you are hiring a makeup artist, you should secure a makeup artist at least six months in advance of the date to ensure top talent. Make sure you feel comfortable with them and make sure that the outcome of your makeup trial is what you envisioned – if not, speak up!
4. You should look like you on your wedding day, just more enhanced and glamorous. Avoid over dramatic “runway” type looks on your day. This can appear very harsh and garish in person. You want your makeup to look timeless on your big day.
5. Rather than look through fashion magazines for inspiration for your makeup, check wedding photographers websites. This is more realistic vision for what you should look like on your wedding day.
6. Do wear a natural matte foundation on the big day. It’ll provide the perfect coverage between a lightweight foundation and a full coverage. Apply concealer only in areas where needed. Avoid applying coverage products too heavily, as it will not translate very well in photographs.
7. Use products that will lengthen the wear of your makeup. For example, a foundation primer will create an even texture to the skin and prevent makeup from settling into lines and pores. Also, make sure to set your makeup with a translucent loose powder; this will prevent makeup from separating on the skin and will minimize shine. My favorites are Laura Mercier Foundation Primer ($33) and Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder ($37).
8. If you want to wear false eyelashes, try individual lashes. They are much more comfortable and can be customized to your eye shape. You can also control how dramatic you want them to appear. If you have dark eyelashes naturally you may want to consider black lash glue as it blends very nicely into the lashes.
9. When choosing lipstick, choose a color that is a little deeper or brighter then what you normally wear. Using a lip liner and lipstick will give you the longest wear. If you want to add a little shine just dab a little gloss in the center.
10. And lastly, choose eye makeup that will open up your eyes. Smoke eyes are great if they are not overdone. Be certain that your eye makeup is blended very well. If you are wearing a soft lip, then feel free to go deeper with the eye colors. If you are wearing a red lip, a classic winged eyeliner with soft neutral shades will work best. I typically like to use shades of browns, plums and greys on the eyes as these tones photograph very well.
- 10 Rose Gold Jewelry Items That Everyone Will Be Thankful For
- 15 Short Wedding Dresses For The Bride Who Wants To Show A Little Leg
- The Hottest Wedding Dress Trends For Walking Down The Aisle In 2017
- 17 Best Budget-Friendly Bridesmaid Dresses
- 10 Minutes With: Frank Body Co-Founder Jess Hatzis
- 10 Popular His & Hers Wedding Band Trends