5 Extra Touches To Make Your Affair Stand Apart
In the history of entertaining, no guest has ever pooh-poohed a host who goes above-and-beyond the call of duty. Now it's your turn.
Enhance your legacy with these five easy ways to make your one-time role as a bride brilliant:
1. Weather or Not
Was it Proust (or a virtuosic bride from flawless weddings past) who said, "A change in the weather is sufficient to recreate the world and ourselves"?
If you're hosting an outdoor event, consider offering guests shawls to borrow should the weather turn a touch chilly, sunscreen or wide-brimmed hats should the sun come on too strong, or fans if the temp heats up.
2. Late-night Perks
When the dance floor is pumping and guests are nowhere close to calling it a night, offer passed trays of late-night libations and snacks. It entices your guests to stay longer and makes them love you all the more.
3. Kids Korner
Ah children. To have or to banish tots from your affair is one of the touchiest subjects that arises when selecting a guest list. A first-class solution: hire two babysitters to watch the kids while their parents (i.e. your nearest and dearest) party with you.
These caregivers can either watch the babes off-site or in a separate room at your reception locale. Either way, your guests will never, ever forget your magnanimity.
4. Transportation Nation
When your ceremony and reception are at different locales, help your guests make the transition from ceremonial to celebration mode by providing detailed (even escorted!) info on how and when to show up at the reception.
Too often, guests stand around milling about after the ceremony, unsure of the whereabouts or exact time to show up at the reception. So consider providing transportation, or put a detailed reminder as to their next step in your wedding program.
5. Don't Skip the Loo, My Darlings
Every single wedding guest will eventually make at least one trip to the bathroom. Don't neglect the opportunity to add personal touches to the one spot your guests may run to when they need something they couldn't fit in a pocket or a tiny cocktail-party clutch.
Here's a list of items to place in a basket in the corner of the appropriate WC:
- Antacid tablets
- Bobby pins
- Chewing gum, breathe mints, and mouthwash
- Clear nail polish (for mending runs in nylons)
- Dental floss
- Hairbrush and comb
- Hair spray
- Hand lotion or moisturizing cream
- Lip balm
- Nail file and emery board
- Pantyhose (one or two extra pairs for emergencies in neutral colors)
- Pens and Post-It Notes
- Perfume or cologne
- Safety pins
- Sanitary napkins and tampons
- Sewing kit
- 7 Non-Cheesy Ways To Add Valentine’s Day Romance To Your Wedding
- The World's Worst Wedding Fails Of All Time
- The Internet Has Spoken: These Are The Best DIY Wedding Tutorials
- The 8 Best Winter Wedding Venues In The Country
- Creative Save The Dates And Invites For The Best Wedding Ever
- How To Add Some Holiday Spirit To Your Wedding