Modern Party Etiquette For Guests
Remember, what happens at the party doesn’t always stay at the party. Being a guest is about having fun but it doesn’t mean your manners should fly out the window. Here are some tips to ensure you’ll always get invited back:
1. Take invites and responses seriously. RSVP, ASAP. If plans change later let your host know instead of just not showing up.
2. Don’t arrive early. Arrive at a party close to the start time (within 15 minutes optimal).
3. Decode the dress code. Dress appropriately for the occasion, black tie (tuxedos and gowns) or casual (anything goes, well almost). Remember better to overdress than underdress.
4. Bring gifts, but don’t give your host extra work. If you’re bringing flowers deliver them in a vase so when you arrive your host doesn’t have to run around the house searching for one.
5. Offer to help. If you see your host struggling ask if there is anything you can do or if you can help in anyway.
6. Put your phone away. At a large cocktail party people are more forgiving with phones but small intimate gatherings are a big NO!
7. Eat when served. It is polite to wait until everyone is served before beginning to eat.
8. Put your best foot forward. Be pleasant, cheerful and happy when mingling with other guests, no matter your mood. Whether you were stuck in traffic or the babysitter was late, check your frustrations at the door.
9. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it. Avoid making negative comments on the room, food, the guests, or the host. You never know who could overhear you.
10. Estimate your exit. If the invitation lists a specific end time, don’t linger much longer, you don’t want to overstay your welcome. Monitor the other guests and see when they are leaving. When half are gone, you get ready to leave as well. Remember before you leave give proper thanks to your host.
- 12 Creative Ways To Declutter and Destress Your Life
- Sick of Santa? Here’s How To Decorate Your Home After Christmas
- These Gift Wrapping Ideas Will Make Your Presents Even Better
- Hosting Thanksgiving? Here are Colin’s Insider Tips To Make Your Life Easier
- How To Design Your Office Like An OG Girl Boss
- 10 Stylish Ways To Give Your Home A Fall Facelift