Triple Chocolate Delight
How’s this for a decadent finale? My favorite ice cream for this sinful trio is Godiva’s Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle. If anything’s going to send you over the top, it will. Any good chocolate ice cream will do, but this one is the best, in my opinion. Despite the decadence, this cake is easy to prepare. All the mixings is done in a food processor with the steel blade attached. For a lighter touch, substitute chocolate sorbet for the ice cream.
- Butter for greasing the pan
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- ½ cup blanched whole almonds
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) plus 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Scant ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa
- Dash of salt
- ½ cup shelled hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, to sprinkle as garnish
- Parchment paper for lining the pan
1. Preheat the oven to 400* F
2. Grease an 8 X 8-inch baking pan or ovenproof dish with butter. Line with parchment paper, then coat the paper with butter.
3. Combine the chocolate morsels and the almonds in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse about 10 times, or until the almonds and chocolate are ground into fine morsels. Set aside.
4. Combine the stick of butter and the granulated sugar in the food processor and process until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue processing. Add the reserved chocolate mixture and continue processing. Add the flour until all the ingredients are well combined.
5. Place ¼ cup water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the water almost to a simmer. Stir in the cocoa and salt until dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then add to the bowl of the food processor and process until well blended. Fold in the hazelnuts.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan or on a rack for 1 hour.
7. Cut the cake into individual portions. Place each portion in the center of a plate. To serve, sprinkle the cake with the confectioners’ sugar, place a scoop of chocolate ice cream on each cake, and pour the chocolate sauce on top.
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 batch chocolate sauce (recipe follows)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Place 1 cup water, the sugar, and the cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the grated chocolate and rum. Stir the sauce until it is very smooth. If you make it in advance, keep it warm in a double boiler over medium-low heat until ready to serve.