Fabulous Recipe: Holiday Honey Baked Apples
- 1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 large (8- to 9-ounce) Fuji apples
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Juice from one lemon
- 8 whole cloves Vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce
Baked apples are a holiday season staple. There are dozens of fillings for an endless supply of baked apple options, but the most important thing is the apple. Fuji apples work well because they won't fall apart while cooking. Some apples tend to explode or become mushy while the Fuji retains its shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine walnuts, 1/2 cup brown sugar, honey, lemon peel, cognac, and fresh ginger in a bowl. Fold in the cream. Let stand about 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Using a melon baller, remove the core and all seeds leaving 1/2 inch of apple on the bottom. Place apples upright in a glass baking dish, add one whole clove to the center of each apple, and with a spoon, fill each apple. (Any excess filling can be piled on top of the apples.)
- Mix apple and lemon juice together in a small bowl and pour the juice around the apples.
- To bake, place a large sheet of buttered foil loosely over the apples and bake until just tender, about 1 hour. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and bake an additional 20 minutes or until apples are very tender and sauce is bubbling.
- To serve, transfer the apples and sauce to individual bowls and top with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.