Fried Bananas With Caramel Sauce
Here is the Cuban cocktail-party version of dessert. You’ll love the scrumptious contrast between the sweet, melted bananas and their crispy friend batter- not to mention the decadent caramel sauce. Your guests will love the bite-size portions presented on trays!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup lager beer
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 6 large bananas, peeled and cut into 1-inch sections
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Caramel sauce
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, egg yolks, beer, salt and oil. Whisk together until a smooth batter forms with no lumps. Allow to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
2. In another bowl, whip the egg white with a whisk and gradually add the sugar until the mixture forms soft peaks. Fold into the batter.
3. In a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven, heat 3 to 4 inches of vegetable oil until it reaches a temperature of 350°F. (use a candy thermometer). Using a wooden skewer or large toothpick, dip the banana pieces in the batter, add one by one to the hot oil, and fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Throughout the frying, be sure that the oil is at least 350°F. but not exceeding 375°F. Drain the browned bananas on paper towels. Sprinkle them with confectioners’ sugar and serve with the caramel sauce poured on top of on the side for dipping.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
Place 1 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Make sure the pot is large enough to avoid splashing; the sauce will bubble when the water is added. Melt the sugar without stirring until it turns a deep caramel color. (The sugar will turn color quickly; do not burn it.) Slowly add ¼ cup of water, stirring carefully so as not to splash.
- Keep The Party Going With These Buzz-Worthy Wedding Favors
- Bite Into The Season With These 6 Spring Inspired Wedding Desserts
- The Leprechaun-Approved List Of St. Patrick’s Signature Sips For Your Wedding
- These Red Velvet Desserts Will Melt Hearts At Your Wedding & V-Day Party
- These Mini Comfort Foods Are Changing The Wedding Game
- Festive Cocktails Not Suitable For Santa