Fresh Seafood Paella and Wine Pairing
There's nothing as fabulous as a summer celebration. For dinner, I like to serve a grand paella of fresh seafood and pair it with a dry white Milestone Wine Chardonnay- such a chic way to entertain a large group of people. This coupling will elevate any soiree from ordinary to extraordinary. Enjoy!
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 pound firm white fish (such as monkfish), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound squid, cleaned, cut into 1/2-inch rings, tentacles halved
- Coarse salt
- 6 cups fish stock
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cups short-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen organic peas
- 16 mussels, cleaned
- Place the shrimp, fish and squid in a colander, sprinkle with coarse salt and let sit while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the stock, saffron, and wine in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide paella pan set over two burners. Add the shrimp, fish, and squid, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the shrimp and fish, leaving the squid in the pan. Add the peppers to the pan, and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute to release the aromas. Stir in the paprika and tomatoes, and sauté 1 minute to release the aromas. Add the rice, toss to coat it with the tomato mixture, and stir in the parsley and bay leaves.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the hot broth to the pan, along with the peas. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until some of the liquid reduces. (Paella should have just enough liquid to cook rice, but not be soupy). Adjust seasonings. Stir in the reserved shrimp and fish, and arrange the mussels over the paella with the edges that will open facing up.
- Transfer paella pan to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until rice is almost cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove paella from oven, cover loosely, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of Milestone Wine Chardonnay.