Fabulous Recipe No. 8
Colin's Chicken Couscous recipe.
6 pounds chicken pieces
3 onions, quartered
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
10 whole black peppercorns
5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 -inch chunks
3 yellow squash, cut into 1 1/2 -inch chunks
3 turnips, cut into large chunks
1/2 head cabbage, cut into chunks
1/2 bunch celery, cut into 1 1/2 -inch pieces (about 2 cups)
4 medium zucchini, cut into 1 1/2 -inch chunks (about 3 cups)
1 teaspoon harissa sauce
3 (16-ounce) packages couscous
20 hot grilled merguez sausages
1. Place the chicken pieces and the onion quarters in a large pot. Add the cumin, coriander, cloves, cayenne, ginger, saffron, and peppercorns. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Skim the fat from the surface. Add the carrots, yellow squash, turnips, cabbage, and celery and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Add the zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes longer. With a slotted spoon transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large dish and keep warm.
3. Transfer 2 cups of the broth to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Reserve remaining broth for the couscous. Bring to a boil. Stir in the harissa sauce, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced.
4. Prepare the couscous according to package directions, using the reserved cooking broth for liquid called for.
5. To serve, spoon the couscous onto a large serving platter. Arrange the chicken, vegetables and sausage over the couscous and drizzle with some of the sauce, or pass sauce at the table.
Note: Harissa sauce and merguez sausages are available at Middle Eastern markets. Chicken and vegetables, omitting the zucchini, can be made 1 day ahead. Store in the refrigerator. Before serving, return the chicken and vegetables to a boil, add the zucchini and continue as above.