Fabulous Recipe No. 27
Recipe for Homemade Meatloaf.
2 slices soft white sandwich bread
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (from 1 medium onion)
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot (from 1 small carrot)
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (from 1 stalk of celery)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 large eggs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Cut the crust off the slices of bread. In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk for 15 minutes, then drain and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Combine the sautéed vegetables with all the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Fill the terrine pan with the meat mixture. Place the terrine in a slightly larger baking pan to catch any dripping grease. Bake in the middle section of the preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Use a toothpick to determine if the meatloaf is done (when the juice runs clear and the toothpick comes out clean, the meatloaf is ready).