Fabulous Recipe: Lasagna with Bechamel Sauce
1 1/2 cups grated imported Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella in water, drained and sliced
Additional Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread a thin layer of Tomato Sauce over the bottom of a 15 by 10-inch baking dish. Cover the sauce with a layer of the lasagna noodles. Spread about 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce over the noodles, then spoon about 2/3 cup of the Bechamel Sauce over the tomato sauce.
- Next, sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese over the sauces. Arrange 1/3 of the mozzarella slices over the top.
- Repeat layering the noodles, the sauces and the cheese 2 more times. Add one more layer of the noodles over the top then spread them with the remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes or until it is bubbling around the edges, the top is brown and any exposed noodles are crisp. Remove from the oven and let the lasagna stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
NOTE: The lasagna can be assembled ahead, covered and refrigerated or frozen. Before baking, let it stand until it is at room temperature.
- 5 cans tomatoes
- 3 shredded carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 fennel
- 1 head celery
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp herbs d' Provence
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Chop the vegetables finely. Sautee in a large pot with the olive oil. Add the seasonings and the blended tomatoes. Cook till sauce begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste, sugar. Remove from heat, add cilantro and basil. Allow to cool and refrigerate.
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- Salt and pepper
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble, about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the hot milk. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, continuing to stir, 2 to 3 minutes longer or until very thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.