Fabulous Recipe: Fresh Hummus With Tahini
This is one of those recipes that really can’t go wrong, and it’s great to have extra on hand. It’s also nutritious, filling, and healthy. So don’t be bashful: Double the recipe and use it for sandwiches, or as a dip or spread. A sandwich of toasted whole-wheat bread and hummus with a salad is a great lunch on the run.
- (1 )15 ½-Ounce can chick peas, drained
- 1 Cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 Tablespoons plus ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of about 3 lemons)
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus 1/3 cup
- 6 small pita breads, cut into wedges
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, 1 tablespoon of the parsley, smooth, adding the additional liquid until the desired consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Transfer the hummus to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of parsley and serve with warm or toasted pita bread.
Note: Hummus can be made a few days in advance and store in the refrigerator.