Fabulous Recipe: Colin’s Cuban Sandwiches
This is a variation on the famous Cuban sandwich, which I Americanized and simplified. Using the best ingredients with a twist- Gruyère cheese, high-quality ham, and a parsley-mustard spread-makes it so much more than just a grilled ham-and-cheese sandwich. You’ll find you can’t make them fast enough: they’re totally irresistible, warm and crunchy, and really too delicious for words. They also go exceedingly well with cool drinks.
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 24 slices white sandwich bread
- 24 thin slices good-quality gruyère (or other Swiss) cheese
- 12 thick slices good quality baked ham
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted
1. Combine the mustard and parsley in a small bowl and mix well. Lay out 12 slices of the bread on a flat surface. Spread a layer of the mustard-parsley paste on each slice. Lay a slice of cheese and then a slice of ham on each one. Finish with another piece of cheese on each and then complete the sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Using a pastry brush, coat both sides of the sandwich with butter. Heat a griddle over high heat. (You can also use a cast-iron skillet, but this doesn’t yield the nice stripes.) Grill the sandwiches until the bread turns golden brown and the cheese is well melted, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Cut in quarters and serve hot.
- Keep The Party Going With These Buzz-Worthy Wedding Favors
- Bite Into The Season With These 6 Spring Inspired Wedding Desserts
- The Leprechaun-Approved List Of St. Patrick’s Signature Sips For Your Wedding
- These Red Velvet Desserts Will Melt Hearts At Your Wedding & V-Day Party
- These Mini Comfort Foods Are Changing The Wedding Game
- Festive Cocktails Not Suitable For Santa