Crab Cocktail Salad
This is a classic appetizer that’s all about presentation- not preparation- which is why I like to serve it in some type of vessel that makes a statement: a cocktail glass, a champagne coup, or a decorative cup. It should always be made from fresh crabmeat. If you want to add more volume to the salad, use the iceberg lettuce to make cups for the crab mixture, and place the whole assembly on a bed of baby arugula or other greens.
- ¾ ketchup
- ½ cup prepared horseradish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds lump crabmeat (picked over to eliminate stray pieces of bone or shell)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
1. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, and Tabasco and mix well. (This mixture can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the dish.)
2. Gently fold the crab into the seasoned mayonnaise. Divide lettuce among 6 bowls or glasses, and spoon the crab mixture over each. Garnish with a dash of cayenne pepper and serve with lemon wedges.